Let your tacos be naked!
I’m pretty tired of trying to decide whether or not the added carbs in taco shells are worth it, so I usually just end up skipping the traditional taco and opting for a healthy and low calorie lettuce wrap!
If you’re tired of those stiff corn coats, and you’re tired of the same old Tuesday dinner. What you’re left with are, of course, lettuce wraps. This recipe spices up the night (or afternoon snack break) with a smoky mesquite powder that not only adds flavor but raw, superfood power, as well. It feels good to keep things light and airy, sometimes, doesn’t it? Besides, you can always add a side of chips and salsa.
Makes 6 lettuce wraps
* dairy-free *
1 shallot, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 green onions, sliced
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
2 Tbsp.olive oil
1 tsp.minced ginger
1 Tbsp. mesquite powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 cup ground organic turkey
1 Tbsp.maple syrup
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
Butter lettuce, leaves divided
- Heat a frying pan to medium heat and add olive oil. Add shallot, garlic, green onion, jalapeno and ginger and gently cook for 2-3 minutes, being careful not to brown. Reduce heat if needed.
- Add mesquite powder and paprika; cook for another minute or so.
- Remove the spiced onion mixture from pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan, increase heat to high and add ground turkey. Sauté 3-4 minutes, or until golden. Add maple syrup and cook another 2 minutes.
- Return spiced onion mixture to pan with turkey. Add carrots and cilantro, season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Spoon turkey mixture into lettuce wraps and serve with alight soy sauce and toasted sesame seeds.